Back to What's new
August 10, 2022
Title: Strategy & Business case development
Reports to: Head of Strategy and Operations
Location: Flexible (option for home-based working). Role may require occasional international travel (mainly NL, FR, UK, DE)
Opportunity: Short term opportunity for 0.8 FTE for 2 – 3 months, with potential to extend if required.
Energiesprong UK seeks an external contractor to support the development of business models for long term impact and market activation, leading to a roadmap for scaling net zero apartment buildings, under the 35 million EU funded project: Mustbe0 (Interreg NWE).
The aim of the Mustbe0 project is to develop the Energiesprong approach for net zero apartment buildings in North-West Europe. The project is being driven by market development teams in each participating country who are part funded by the MB0 project. As part of the planning for long term impact and legacy, we would like to understand firstly how could a longer-term market activation role be delivered and sustained beyond the end of the current project and how this approach could fit within the developing eco-system of stakeholders in terms of business models and actors?
Secondly, how tools and resources developed through the project could be adopted and supported beyond the end of the project, and the structures through which these could be deployed, considering ideas such as long-term partnerships, government-led policy intervention driving uptake, or commercial opportunities.
The core element of this role will include:
• Review of strategy, tools and resources
• Understand impacting policy issues
• Workshops with the team and stakeholders
• Development of strategy and business model options
• Presentation of road map and governance structures
The initial work is expected to be completed by November 2023 with a potential opportunity to offer an extension for implementation of market activation approaches, subject to funding. This is not a guarantee for further work and will depend on project needs.
Quotes are requested for the piece of work detailed above, detailing daily rate costs and expected number of days, with the addition of a daily rate for works commissioned beyond the initial work.
Starting date: as soon as possible.
Energiesprong is an approach to delivering net zero energy retrofit of homes at scale, financed by savings and with performance guaranteed.
Dutch for ‘Energy Leap’, it was developed by the Dutch Government with their housing and construction industries between 2010 and 2017. The Netherlands has the same carbon reduction targets as those set by the UK Climate Change Act, requiring a zero-emission building stock by 2050. They realised that a radically different approach to the measure by measure, grant funded norm was needed. Delivery rates had to go up, and costs had to come down to enable financing without public subsidy.
The key principles of the Energiesprong approach are:
• net zero in one go: whole house, super-efficient thermal wrap with renewable energy generation, storage and heating;
• guaranteed actual performance: annual net zero energy, comfort every day and affordable bills;
• offsite manufacturing: industrialisation for quality, cost reduction and minimal onsite disruption;
• retrofit cost financed by guaranteed long term energy and maintenance savings;
• affordable, grid friendly electrification: 90% carbon reduction now, zero carbon as the grid decarbonizes.
Energiesprong UK is an independent, 100% publicly funded not for profit organisation. Our mission is to adapt the Dutch approach for the UK and develop a volume market that can deliver net zero energy retrofit and new build, at scale without public subsidy. We support landlords, supply chain, Governments and opinion formers and work closely with our sister Energiesprong teams in NL, FR, DE & IT.
• Significant relevant experience of working on strategy and business development within the net zero sector
• The ability to review and synthesise relevant information into a succinct plan and to communicate this effectively and succinctly
• A good background knowledge of the domestic retrofit and energy industry
• Capable of managing the delivery of high-quality outputs within a transnational environment
Please submit your proposal detailing how you would deliver the activities and your experience to email@example.com.
The project proposal for MUSTBE0 can be made available on request.