Back to What's new
August 22, 2023
We are looking for an experienced operations person to join the Energiesprong team. We work with a variety of stakeholders and funders on some of the most innovative Net Zero retrofit projects happening in the UK today, and we need to ensure we have excellent programme and project management in place to support the delivery of these projects.
This role will work with the Directors of the company to support the effective day-to-day running of the business. Though you will also get to work directly with clients and funders, and the wider ESUK team. You will be a key part of making innovation happen and supporting the scaling up of retrofit in the UK.
You will be joining a passionate team with a wide variety of skills, and strong shared values of ambition, tenacity, creativity and pragmatism, with a solutions focused mindset. The team is based across different parts of the UK, and we typically work remotely, with monthly face-to-face meetings. We are a small team which means that a variety of different activities can be delivered by each individual.
The way which the business is funded is changing, with an expectation that more fee-earning work will supplement R&D grants. We need an Operations Manager in place to support this transition and beyond.
> Key tasks
• Provide day-to-day project management for key projects, including liaising with project partners and coordinating internal resources to ensure projects are delivered on time, to budget and within scope.
• Lead on contract management and review and developing processes for engaging with new clients.
• Fostering collaborative partnership working with clients, funders and organisations we partner with on projects or industry initiatives.
• Lead on recruitment and procurement.
• As the finance lead for ESUK you will be responsible for developing and maintaining. the day-to-day management of accounting system and liaison with our accountants Finance system tasks include raising invoices, managing monthly pay runs and payroll.
• Deliver effective internal reporting including maintaining cashflow analysis and working with others in ESUK to ensure up to date project level reporting and risk reporting to the Management Team and Board, as well as other external funders.
• Oversee and deliver external reporting including reporting for funders (grant claims and change requests as needed, including using EMS (online system for the EU Mustbe0 project).
• Management and leadership skills
• Excellent communication skills
• Demonstrable project management skills
• Good financial acumen
• Driven and self-motivated
• Effective and collaborative relationship manager
• Flexible and comfortable working with a small team and largely remotely
• Innovative approach to problem solving
• Experience with social housing
• Understanding of retrofit programmes
• Location: Home/own office based, with some travel for monthly team meetings (can be either London, Bristol or the Midlands)
• Terms: 4 days/week. Contracted, with competitive day rates.
> To apply: Please send a CV with a covering note and proposed daily rate to email@example.com by 5pm, 7 September 2023.
Energiesprong is an approach to delivering net zero energy retrofit of homes at scale, financed by savings and with performance guaranteed.
Dutch for ‘Energy Leap’, it was developed by the Dutch Government with their housing and construction industries between2010 and 2017. The Netherlands has the same carbon reduction targets as those set by the UK Climate Change Act, requiring a zero-emission building stock by 2050. They realised that a radically different approach to the measure by measure, grant funded norm was needed. Delivery rates had to go up, and costs had to come down to enable financing without public subsidy.
Our retrofit principles to ensure homes are fit for 2050:
• Compatible with a future energy system, grid friendly, electric, no fossil fuels
• Desirable, comfortable, warm and affordable for residents
• Data driven with verified performance.
• Developing scaleable programmes that drive innovation, investment, technological advances and inclusivity.
Energiesprong UK is an independent, 100% publicly funded not for profit organisation. Our mission is to adapt the Dutch approach for the UK and develop a volume market that can deliver net zero energy retrofit and new build, at scale without public subsidy. We support landlords, supply chain, Governments and opinion formers and work closely with our sister Energiesprong teams in NL, FR, DE & IT.
Interreg North West Europe project, MUSTBE0, will fund this role as it supports the delivery of one of the investments associated with the project. The MUSTBE0 project is demonstrating how the Energiesprong net zero model can be scaled for low-rise apartments.
Demonstration retrofit projects with 5 landlords have been completed and we are now scaling up delivery working with our partners the Mayor of London and Turner & Townsend on the Retrofit Accelerator for Homes Innovation Partnership designed to standardise approaches, aggregate design and drive supply chain innovation and cost reduction as volume grows.
Our strategy is: to stimulate demand, support the supply chain, develop funding and finance for market growth, and influence supporting and enabling policy and regulation. Social housing is the launching market, to build volume and proven self-financing net zero products that can then be marketed to private tenures in future.
Our current projects and funders include: MUSTBE0 (Interreg North-West Europe) Retrofit Accelerator for Homes (Mayor of London & ERDF), LB Sutton Whole House Retrofit (BEIS), National Net Zero Retrofit Accelerator (BEIS), Zero Energy Buildings Catalyst (Devon County Council & ERDF), Plymouth Energy Community Homes (various), Heat Pump Ready Wave 2 (BEIS).